Have you heard about Soccer Mom Knees? Until last week, I had not. But now I can’t stop obsessing about them, and I’m super excited about the transformation mine are about to undergo, with hardly any effort at all.
Here is what happened: I was invited to a small Open House organized by NuBody Concept’s ALASTIN Skincare rep, Ashley. I’m not one to use a lot of skincare products, and to be honest, the free lunch was the main draw for me. I don’t have the patience for a lengthy skincare regimen, I often can’t read the small-print on the back of product bottles, and I tend to instantly forget which order I’m supposed to put what on. No one has managed to make me into a loyal skincare customer yet.
But my introduction to the ALASTIN skincare range is almost certainly going to mark a changing point for me. I was instantly intrigued by the scientific and yet easy-to-understand background Ashley went on to explain.
Here is some of what I learned: We are born with elastin and collagen in our body, two proteins that are essential to skin health. They are responsible for making our skin look nice and smooth.
Elastin is found in the connective tissue. It is responsible for helping our skin return into position after it has been stretched, the same way a rubber band works.
Collagen is essential for giving skin – and other tissues in the body – structure. For healthy skin, it is important that collagen and elastin work together. When they do, they help the skin hold onto water to keep it hydrated and maintain that plump, fresh look we all desire. If they don’t, our skin is like a broken rubber band – brittle and saggy.
Here is an interesting tidbit: while the collagen in our body keeps reproducing itself, the elastin diminishes over time. A lot of the elastin we’re born with has dissipated by middle age, and this is why our skin starts looking wrinkly and dried out right around that time.
At the heart of ALASTIN Skincare is the patented TriHex technology, a blend of peptides and key ingredients engineered to clear out old collagen and elastin proteins damaged by sun exposure and aging. It supports the skin’s natural ability to produce new collagen and even elastin.
The key idea is that for your skin to regenerate itself, you first have to clear out the old, damaged parts. This makes it a very effective product to use before you have any kind of skin procedure, such as skin tightening, Exilis, or liposuction.
There is a reason ALASTIN has been the fastest growing skincare brand among medical providers over the last 3 years. It was first developed as a remedy used in wound care, and its regenerative and restorative powers became immediately apparent for cosmetic surgery patients.
Here are some of the specific products we discussed (and sampled) that day – many built on the aforementioned TriHex technology:
- Restorative Skin Complex: Restores volume to plump up thinning skin and improves appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Restorative Eye Treatment: A special formulation of the skin complex geared especially towards the eyes to reduce appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and dark circles.
- Restorative Neck Complex: Another variation of the skin complex that helps to lift and firm the skin on neck and décolleté for a smoother and tighter feel.
- HydraTint Pro Mineral Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 36: UVA/UVB sun and pollution protection with a light tint that enhances your skin tone.
- Soothe + Protect Recovery Balm: Acts like hydrocortisone and moisturizer in one application to hydrate compromised skin and support renewal; great for eczema, psoriasis, or other redness.
- INhance Post-Injection Serum: Reduces bruising and swelling after injections – i.e. dermal fillers like Juvederm.
- Regenerating Skin Nectar: Very silky and contains no water; applied directly on a wound for faster healing or after a deep chemical peel or DOT laser application.
- Ultra-nourishing Moisturizer: Oil-free formulation that is great for acne patients and dry skin.
- Gentle Cleanser: Sulfate-free, for gentle & deep daily cleaning of sensitive skin.
- TransFORM Body Treatment: Helps to accelerate body fat reduction results by improving texture, laxity, and general “crepiness” of the skin.
This – finally – gets me back to those soccer mom knees. At some point during Ashley’s presentation we were all told to inspect our knees. We dutifully rolled up our pants and looked down. Other than a bunch of childhood scars, my knees looked normal to me. But not to Ashley.
“Oh yes, you definitely have them,” she exclaimed. And it was true. A multitude of fine lines appeared across and particularly above my knees as soon as I stood up and flattened them out. I was given an entire bottle of the Transform Body Treatment specifically for my knees. “The thighs too,” said Ashley – apparently, it also flattens out those cellulite-looking bumps on the back of your thighs. While TransFORM is typically used as a complement to any kind of fat reduction treatments like Exilis or BodyTite (at NuBody Concepts it is automatically included with Exilis), it is also great as a stand-alone treatment.
I also took home samples of the cleanser, the restorative skin complex, the soothe + recovery balm for my washwoman’s hands, and the sunscreen.
Here is what I love about my little ALASTIN collection:
- The tubes and bottles are pleasing to look at and color coded by type. I know, it shouldn’t count, but I am a bit anal that way.
- Each tube comes with a little pump nozzle, disgorging exactly the right amount for a single application and leaving the tip very nice and clean.
- The instructions on the back are simple and easy to read. You won’t need a pair of reading glasses in the bathroom to figure out how to apply.
- And here is my absolute favorite: Each product lists the “order of use” on the back. This way you always know which order to apply everything in.
I can’t wait to show off my new knees in a few weeks’ time. Or rather, as instructed, the ONE knee I’ve been applying ALASTIN product to, so as to get a good side-by-side comparison.
In the meantime, I invite you to check out the ALASTIN catalog, and contact NuBody Concepts Nashville to place your order. As our special gift, get a cosmetic bag with a travel size HydraTint and mini Nectar with a purchase of $250. If you have any questions or aren’t sure what’s best for you, schedule a personal assessment with our licensed aesthetician Diane Novacek!