What Does a Mommy Makeover Include
The primary areas of change during motherhood are the breasts and the abdomen. During this period, your body can become stretched and enlarged, especially during breastfeeding. You may notice that your breasts increase as much as a full cup size or more. However, as your body begins returning to a “normal” state, it can mean loss of breast volume and noticeable sagging. Likewise, throughout your pregnancy, your abdominal muscles, skin, and other tissues stretch to accommodate your growing child. However, postpartum, these layers may never return to a taut, pre-baby shape on their own.
A mommy makeover seeks to remedy these concerns through surgical or non-surgical means. Any of the following cosmetic procedures may be included in a mommy makeover:
- Breast Augmentation: for women seeking to enhance their breast size or shape, or correct asymmetry from loss of volume due to pregnancy. This may include breast implants or a less invasive procedure, fat-transfer to breast.
- Breast Lift: to treat significant sagging. At times, implants alone cannot sufficiently deliver the results you desire. A breast lift can reduce sagging and give your breasts a more uplifted, youthful perkiness.
- Breast Reduction: at times, women gain breast volume during early motherhood and can be left with heavy, uncomfortable breasts that may not diminish post-nursing. Reduction surgery can help alleviate discomfort and restore a more proportionate figure.
- Tummy Tuck: also known as an abdominoplasty, a tummy tuck reduces loose, excess skin, eliminates fat in the abdomen, restores tighter abdominal muscles, and provides a slimmer, flatter contour to the belly.
- Liposuction: is one of the most common plastic surgery procedures performed today. Lipo helps remove stubborn fat and provides a more toned, fit looking figure.
- Skin Tightening: Skin tightening is a technology using Radio Frequency Assisted Lipolysis (RFAL) to apply controlled heat to the tissues under the skin.
- Feminine Rejuvenation: Another area often affected by pregnancy and childbirth is the vaginal wall. You might opt to include a feminine rejuvenation treatment to strengthen vaginal laxity and even reverse minor incontinence.
When is the Best Time for a Mommy Makeover?
The right time for a mommy makeover is largely a personal decision. Often, your cosmetic surgeon can help you determine which procedures are right for you and the appropriate timeline for when you can begin. There are several factors you should be aware of before considering a mommy makeover and choosing which procedures you will have:
- You will need to be fully recovered postpartum before undergoing surgery
- Any breast augmentation surgeries should wait until several months after you have finished breastfeeding. This allows time for your breasts to return to a stable size and shape.
- Many non-surgical treatments, i.e. injectables, may not be recommended during the breastfeeding period.
- Typically, it is best to wait for breast surgeries, tummy tucks, lifts, or any other surgical, cosmetic procedure until you are finished having children. If you are planning on having children in the future, there are many non-surgical, cost-effective body contouring and skin treatments available in the interim.
- A surgical mommy makeover will prevent you from being able to lift anything over 5 – 10 pounds. Prior to your surgery, you may need to arrange help with childcare – especially if you have younger children.