Fat Transfer Augmentation Results
After your breast augmentation with fat transfer, you will most likely notice an increase of 1 to 1.5 cup sizes. However, the results of your breast enhancement may depend on your current chest measurement and breast cup size. Breast enhancement via fat grafting is one of the most natural feelings and softest ways to enhance the breasts without silicone or saline implants, since your breasts are mostly fat to begin with.
Recovery After Fat Transfer to Breast
After the plastic surgery, many patients are able to resume moderate activity, take showers, and go about their daily activities as usual. Many patients return to work within a couple days. However, you can expect up to a week of recovery before resuming exercise. You may experience some slight bruising and swelling in your breasts, but you shouldn’t experience much pain. You may also experience soreness in your hips, thighs, abdomen, or any other areas where liposuction was performed. Your plastic surgeon may prescribe mild pain medication to alleviate any discomfort or soreness from the fat transfer.
How Long Does A Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation Last?
Breast augmentation with fat produces permanent results. Since your own body’s tissues are being used, your breasts will absorb some of the transferred fat. However, the remaining cells will survive and provide lasting results for your breast size.
One of the greatest benefits to using your own fat cells to enhance the shape, weight, and overall size of your breasts is that the fat will never need to be “changed out” in the future. A fat transfer breast augmentation, unlike traditional breast implant enhancement, eliminates risk and the need for future procedures. Once the fat cells have become adjusted in the desired areas, they will never need to be removed or replaced. Although it may take a few months to notice the final results, once the fat cells have “taken,” you’ll be shapelier for good!
One thing to keep in mind: if you experience weight gain or weight loss after your procedure, you may notice an increase or decrease in breast size. This is completely normal.
The Pros and Cons of Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation
As with any plastic surgery or cosmetic procedure, there are clear advantages and disadvantages of fat transfer breast augmentation compared to breast implants. It is important that women are informed of all information related to their treatments so they can make the best-educated decision concerning their aesthetic goals.
Pros of Fat Transfer to Breast
- Cosmetic surgery without any artificial or synthetic materials.
- Produces a more natural look and feel in the breasts.
- Eliminates any complications with implants such as: rupturing, rippling, wrinkling, or capsular contracture – distortion of the breasts.
- Virtually no noticeable scars as fat is extracted and transferred via a small needle and tiny incisions.
- Will help remove any unwanted fat from other areas of the body.
- Symmetry can be achieved much more easily.
Cons of Fat Transfer to Breast
- The permanency of the transferred fat can vary between women. How much fat is retained can vary from 50% to 80%.
- The results of implants are often more predictable.
- A breast augmentation with fat can be more expensive as the fat has to first be harvested with liposuction.
- It may require more than one procedure to achieve the desired results.
Who Is A Suitable Candidate for Breast Augmentation by Fat Transfer?
Good candidates for a breast fat transfer have breasts that already hold a nice shape, and have good skin tone with good elasticity. Adding more volume to breasts with an aesthetic shape will achieve the results you are looking for.
In a personal consultation, your surgeon will help you determine whether you’re a candidate using the following guidelines:
- You are at or near a healthy weight
- You are in overall good health
- You have firm skin with acceptable elasticity
- You have no serious illnesses or diseases
- You are not taking any medications that inhibit the healing process
- You are not taking any blood-thinning medications
- You are a non-smoker or are able to quit for a period before, during, and after the procedure
Beyond good skin elasticity and breast shape, there are two factors to determine whether or not you want to use your own fat as an alternative to breast implants:
- Whether you have enough fat from one or more areas of the body to give to the breasts
- Whether or not you have enough breast tissue to house the transferred fat.